31 To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, “If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. 32 Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.” 36 So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed. John 8: 31-32, 36
On July 4th we commemorate and celebrate the United States’ Independence from England—an independence won over the succeeding nearly 7 years through the shedding of much blood. The true freedom of Christians throughout the entire world from the penalty of eternal death owed for our sin was won through the most precious blood of all, willfully shed by God’s own son. Yet all of us live still struggling in our personal lives in different ways and for different reasons.
Jesus’ teachings found in the Bible ARE the Truth that has the power to set us free from ourselves and from any and all chains that would bind us! We as his disciples have EVERY reason to extend Jesus, the Source of TRUE FREEDOM to those around us. Janine & I are so blessed, together with our Chilean team, to extend him in the country of Chile. The above verses tell the real reason that God sent “HIS WORD-JESUS HIMSELF” into the world: to set us truly free!! Thank you for praying for us and for Chile Mission!
Can we even imagine how many people live under these two flags? Every single disciple of Jesus is worth their weight in “divine gold”!
June’s Prayer Letter outlined some major areas of needed prayer in our work. Please re-visit the letter and continue to pray for them.
- For much of June the rains have been steady in Bodeuca and general area where our camp land is located, making travel in and out of the property very difficult and sometimes impossible. As a result, Abraham & Catalina have been unable to travel the one hour to Concepción to pick up their kitchen stove and new, large water tank. They have, however, been able to continue building a good relationship with a neighbor man, who will be assisting Abraham with some of the construction and other work in exchange for using part of our field for grazing his cattle. In addition, the clutch on Abraham’s pick-up truck has gone out and the probability of getting the part and proceeding with the repair is complicated with the coronavirus situation in Chile. Again he has received help from others and been blessed with new relationships.
- We have not heard back from the Chilean family interested in moving to the camp property to help in its development.
- We continue to pray for Cesar & Camila and their role on our mission property in Santiago. They will be leaving in September. We pray for their ability to complete their duties well and also stay healthy.
- The entire metropolitan area of Santiago continues in total “lock down” as the number of Coronavirus cases continues to climb. Chile is in third place in the world in the incidence index (about 14 cases per 1,000 people, compared with 8 cases per 1,000 in the USA). About 90% of the cases are in the metropolitan area of Santiago. The death rate is much lower, but the winter (June 21 to Sept. 21) is usually complicated with respiratory illnesses, so this year may be very complex. We anticipate that this will continue into September, with government permission being necessary to leave your home—limited to twice a week with three hours each time. Anyone over 75 has no permission to leave their home and in addition, there is a curfew from 10 pm to 5 am each day. This has limited the widespread protests that were occurring in 2019. Our flight to the US was canceled twice. Life is a lot freer here, and it is wonderful to be able to mobilize ourselves!
- Thank you for praying for our time in the U.S. We are in the process of working on our furlough home, mainly installing a furnace and sorting out the accumulation of twenty-eight years abroad. We’ve also been blessed to spend short times with each of our children & their families. What a treat!
- Lastly, pray for our country! So many current challenges and hard circumstances to overcome, and healing as well. Jesus remains the One True Answer and Source of what we need and seek!
Praising, praying, and fasting with you in our “FREE INDEED” GOD,
Praying for each item you mentioned…that the weather will get better at the camp; that the truck can be repaired; the favorable exchange with the neighbor; looking for someone to live at the Santiago property; getting things done and organized at your house in Indiana; and that you will be safe and stay well.
Christ’s Love to you,