When was the last time your read through Jesus’ three prayers in John 17 just before being betrayed and handed over to the authorities to be beaten, whipped and crucified? All three are powerful: his prayer for himself that all will come to know his Father through his completion of the work/mission his Father sent him to do; his prayer for his disciples in their being sent out to teach, preach, and start Jesus’ Church, they too suffering persecution and facing death; and finally, his prayer for all of us believers to come after, that we may be one in love-based relationship with each other and with him as He and his Father are one.
Please look with us at verses 20-23: “My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, 21 that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me. 22 I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one— 23 I in them and you in me—so that they may be brought to complete unity. Then the world will know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me. (underlining mine)
Our effectiveness in everything we do can be traced back to Jesus’ prayer for us believers. LOVE IN RELATIONSHIP, ONENESS, AND COMPLETE UNITY. I’m reminded of this every time
- Janine and I see Milla, take her out of the hospital, pray with her and see her smile.
- we elders of the church come together and as we, the church, make a transition over to a house-based church model in August. Our last worship service at our present Sunday location will be August 10.
- we, as a new foundation board, come together to make final progress toward becoming the children’s work God wants us to be. The coordinators of the legal organization helping us obtain our legal identity are giving us their full attention, to complete this process as soon as possible.
- we travel to other parts of Chile to interact with local churches and others, as I (with Jeff and Emily) recently did on our nine-day trip to Concepción, Penco, and San Carlos. What a blessed trip that was and how special those relationships!
- I attend the annual Pastor’s Conference of the Chilean Christian Churches/Churches of Christ. I leave tonight for southern Chile to attend this year’s conference held Aug. 1-3. Greeting, listening, encouraging, and praying together. Relationship takes these encounters deeper.
- I participate monthly in an early morning devotional at the live-in Christian drug rehab center, Casa del Alfarero, as I did this morning. So many men, so much mutual value and appreciation—them for me and I for them. I encouraged them to do the same with the Bible’s writers—David, the prophets, Paul, John, Peter, etc. Their writings are taken to a whole new level when we sense ourselves in relationship and oneness with them.
- Janine leads work being done here at the mission property and its houses, getting ready to receive children in these coming months.
- We work in tandem as a mission team with our U.S.-based teammates, Donn & Cindy and others.
- we are in contact with you by internet, phone, or in person, and when we send you all our monthly letter giving you ways to pray and fast for God’s work through us. The first Christians were just as linked through common cause, purposes, and prayer & fasting.
I mentioned above our time with Milla and my monthly visits to the drug rehab center. There’s something extraordinarily powerful in entering her room or in my entering the devotional and sensing true relationship and oneness with those thirty-five to forty men. This week in visiting Milla and then again this morning at the drug center it was so neat to show her and also the men where they are mentioned in bold inside of the daily pages of my prayer journal. The power of being ONE IN RELATIONSHIP WITH GOD AND EACH OTHER. Please use August to focus on praying this focus and for living it as well. God promises to bless!
We are still looking for a house to rent or possibly buy. Thank you all for your continued prayers. Our website is up-to-date and user-friendly. We are looking for ways in August to make it even more so.
Praising, praying, and fasting in our “One in Relationship” God,