A new Children’s Camp/Christian Center outside of Concepción (roughly five hours south of Santiago) is now in its initial stages of becoming a reality. The land–roughly 5 acres in size–is located less than one hour east of Concepción, Chile, is being developed into a Christian camp/Christian Center with an emphasis on ministering to children. It will also serve as a Christian Center of outreach to people of the surrounding area. At present there are only two other such outreach-based Christian camps located in Chile that we know of. The property in question is ample enough to launch such a purpose, even while looking for adjoining parcels to enlarge outreach. A first major step is the legal process to actually give ownership over to a type of supervising board consisting of several people who will govern the use and management of the property into the future. This and other “first” steps are presently being taken by Domingo & wife Sandra (offering the land), Jack & Janine, and others helping in specific ways.
First steps of Stage One include:
- Reviewing the property’s site map to delineate the exact land to be used for the Christian camp/outreach center. This process has been underway for over a year and we so look forward to its being completed in 2017.
- Meet with the notary/attorney who will be both deeding the land toward its new purpose and setting up the legal board to direct the work forward. (Also a process in motion, scheduled for 2017)
- Initial board members (four of us, at this point) are setting vision and steps in place.
- Determine placement of different ministry facets of the camp/center within the land. Toward this end, we as a team have been looking for additional land in the same area to give ample space for the overall vision of both the center and camp. As we go forward, a multi-purpose building , including a large room, kitchen and baths, will be built, along with an outdoor amphitheater and other camp-related equipment and structures. Designated locations for tent camping, along with the building of some cabins will also be decided on. Projected costs will be determined as we go forward.
- At present a well has been drilled on Domingo’s land. There are several other services that need to be put in place.
RIGHT CLICK ON THIS LINK AND OPEN TO SEE AN EXCELLENT VIDEO PRESENTATION OF THE LAND AND PROJECT: https://vimeo.com/131370462
WE WERE EXCITED TO BE ABLE TO HOST A 3-DAY VBS IN THE SAN IGNACIO AREA OF ÑIPAS IN FEBRUARY 2016, given the local school for all activities. The VBS was based in the story of Joseph, in Genesis, and consisted of lessons, games, handicrafts, songs, puppets, videos, fun in a swimming pool, and even learning how to play musical instruments. The children then put on a presentation for their parents the last day. All activites were designed for children of 6 to 10 years of age, and roughly 26 children participated. Our 14-member team outdid themselves. All children received an illustrated New Testament. Here are some photos of the fun and time together.
A main ingredient in it all, as mentioned above, is the forming and developing of relationships in the area. Healthy, active, working relationships with the municipalities, churches, and neighbors in the immediate area will be crucial if we are to have their support and participation.
LIKEWISE IN LATE JANUARY/ FIRST DAYS OF FEBRUARY 2017, TWO SEPARATE VBS’s WERE HOSTED IN THE AREA–one in the same San Ignacio school and one hosted in a local church in the center of Ñipas. Both VBS’s were successful (26 participants in the school and 35 in the church) and our relationships with area children, their families, and two area churches were further enhanced. This year’s theme was La Vida es Valiosa (Life is Valuable!) and many children professed faith in Jesus as Savior & Lord. Here below are four photos–the first two taken during the first VBS and the second two at the church:
In 2017 we have also visited Ñipas to “walk” another larger property of approximately 100 acres available to purchase (see below photos) and we are currently setting up a meeting with its owners to know what other options they might consider in selling part of it or perhaps another another adjoining parcel and for what price.
Ñipas is located roughly 6 hours south of Santiago between Chillán, Chile on the east and Concepción, Chile on the west coast. It is also the specific area where the Children’s Camp/Christian Center LUZ EN EL CAMPO is to be constructed. The long-term vision of the Camp and Center includes this whole central region of the country, where nothing of this type of Christian influence exists. Concepción, on the coast, is Chile’s second largest city.